15 Checkpoints When Buying An English Springer Spaniel Pup
Purchasing an English Springer Spaniel puppy is step one on the long road of companionship and pleasure with these wonderful animals. So, it’s important to get it right and these tips will allow you to do that. There is a saying “let the pup choose you”, but that is all right up to a point, as you however want to be sure that the new pup is basically healthy.
A pup is by definition very youthful, so we WOn’t know the way that it will grow, and thus have to rely on the look of the parents. The things we can check on the mother (and perhaps the dad too if he’s around) without being judging specialists are:
1. Height equal to span is not bad?
2. Does the mom stand with pigeon toes or with paws splayed, or ideally paws directly ahead?
3. Are the hindquarters muscle and powerful appearing and are the back paws pointing forward? The rear legs should have an average rake back, and must not be perpendicular or raked.
4. The bottom of the tail should run parallel with the dog’s back , not rise above it.
5. The paws should look like a continuation of the legs along with the toes shouldn’t be splayed (which can cause harm).
6. The coat should be polished and healthy looking, but not curly or rough. Feathering shouldn’t be excessive.
7. Blue roan is an acceptable color in america.
If the mom checks out nicely in these respects, and has a good natural gait with the legs swinging straight forward afterward that all should be an excellent indicator for her pups.
On the pup, the checks should be as follows (besides the others listed in the 2nd paragraph):
1. A liver colouring ought to be dark and rich.
3. Strong blue eyes which aren’t running or weeping (deeper shade now means a stronger hazel colour in adulthood).
4. A cold wet nose with no pink spots.
5. A jacket which is lustrous and smooth.
6. Assess for right bite in the teeth – upper teeth have the jaw is set square as well as a close overlap on the lower teeth.
The pup should not seem too fat or overly thin. A large tummy could point to worms.
The above check list isn’t exhaustive but will give a good general indicator of the pup’s likely growth.